Employment Litigation | Employment Counseling | Non-Compete and Trade Secret Litigation | Commercial Litigation
Alex’s practice focuses on employment (and related) litigation and counseling. He represents companies across the country in all stages of litigation involving, among other areas, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful discharge, negligent hiring, retention, and supervision, Title VII, Family Medical Leave Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Fair Labor Standards Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, state wage-and-hour, non-competes, and trade secrets. Alex also counsels employers on a variety of issues, including employment agreements, policies and procedures, reasonable accommodations, terminations, discipline, and other individual employee issues.
Teaching and Presentations
- August 2018: Pick a Number Between 1 and 3: New Handbook Guidance from the NLRB General Counsel
- June 2018: Co-presenter on labor and employment updates at KCMBA’s CLE by the Hour.
May 2018: Co-presenter on labor and employment updates at KU School of Law’s annual Recent Developments in the Law CLE. Materials available here.
- Fall 2017: Taught legal writing to first-year law students at the University of Kansas School of Law
- June 2017: National Business Institute’s annual Missouri HR seminars – lectured on spotting employee handbook liabilities, FLSA compliance mistakes, FMLA leave errors, and legal pitfalls at holiday parties and other special events
- February 2018: National Business Institute’s interactive HR workshop – lectured on best practices regarding new hires and FLSA pitfalls
- Conducts supervisor and manager training regarding legal compliance issues
- 2016-2017 Super Lawyers Rising Star in Employment Litigation
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Missouri Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association; Bar Leadership Academy
- Hispanic Bar Association of Greater Kansas City – Past Vice President
- Ross T. Roberts Trial Academy
- Mid-America GLCC Barnes Leadership Academy
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D.
- Kansas Law Review – Note & Comment Editor
- Hispanic American Law Student Association – Past President
- Top Grades in Employment Law, Contracts II, Conflict of Laws, and Lawyering II
- Wichita State University, B.A., summa cum laude