Employment Litigation | Employment Counseling | Non-Compete and Trade Secret Litigation | Commercial Litigation
Alex’s practice focuses on employment (and related) litigation and counseling. He represents companies across the country in all stages of litigation involving, among other areas, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful discharge, negligent hiring, retention, and supervision, Title VII, Family Medical Leave Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Fair Labor Standards Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, state wage-and-hour, non-competes, and trade secrets. Alex also counsels employers on a variety of issues, including employment agreements, policies and procedures, reasonable accommodations, terminations, discipline, and other individual employee issues.
In 2019, Kim Jones and Alex Aguilera obtained dismissal of intentional tort claims and summary judgment for their clients against claims of sexual discrimination and sexual harassment in federal court. This followed an eve of trial voluntary dismissal of similar claims against the same defendants in state court.
Publications and Presentations
- December 2018: A Few Ways Employers Can Avoid Holiday Legal Headaches; Law360 Expert Analysis
- September 2018: DOL Gifts Employers Advice On Unique FMLA, FLSA Issues; Law360 Expert Analysis
- August 2018: Pick a Number Between 1 and 3: New Handbook Guidance from the NLRB General Counsel
- June 2018: Co-presenter on labor and employment updates at KCMBA’s CLE by the Hour.
May 2018: Co-presenter on labor and employment updates at KU School of Law’s annual Recent Developments in the Law CLE. Materials available here.
- February 2018: National Business Institute’s interactive HR workshop – lectured on best practices regarding new hires and FLSA pitfalls
- Fall 2017: Taught legal writing to first-year law students at the University of Kansas School of Law
- June 2017: National Business Institute’s annual Missouri HR seminars – lectured on spotting employee handbook liabilities, FLSA compliance mistakes, FMLA leave errors, and legal pitfalls at holiday parties and other special events
- 2016-2018 Super Lawyers Rising Star in Employment Litigation
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Missouri Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association; Bar Leadership Academy
- Hispanic Bar Association of Greater Kansas City – Past Vice President
- Ross T. Roberts Trial Academy
- Mid-America GLCC Barnes Leadership Academy
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D.
- Kansas Law Review – Note & Comment Editor
- Hispanic American Law Student Association – Past President
- Top Grades in Employment Law, Contracts II, Conflict of Laws, and Lawyering II
- Wichita State University, B.A., summa cum laude