Business Litigation | Insurance Coverage Consulting, Litigation, and Disputes | Malpractice and Employment Disputes on Behalf of Law Firms
In a recent edition, Chambers USA described Paul Seyferth as “admired for his skills in courtrooms across America.” Paul has practiced law for over 30 years. He has tried many different kinds of commercial and employment cases. Paul’s focus is on high-stakes and high-profile employment, healthcare, and business litigation.
Paul is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers. He is the only active trial lawyer in the states of Kansas and Missouri to be a Fellow in both Colleges.
Trial Lawyer Successes
- In January 2017, after over seven years of litigation, the SBH team of Paul, Mike Blumenthal, Kevin Karpin, and Deena Jenab obtained a final judgment in the matter of Healthcare Foundation of Greater Kansas City v. HCA, et al. This judgment came in a commercial contract case and is believed to be one of the largest verdicts in the Missouri Court system. After appeal, the case was ultimately resolved for an amount exceeding $200 million.
- In August 2015, after a one-week trial, the SBH team of Paul and Bruce Moothart obtained a unanimous defense verdict in Davenport, Iowa, in a case involving allegations of a manufacturing defect. Plaintiff’s jury demand in closing argument was $7.8 million.
- In October 2014, after a nearly two-week trial, the SBH trial team of Paul and Kim Jones obtained a unanimous defense verdict in a retaliation case brought by a former assistant prosecutor against a county prosecutor’s office.
- In July 2014, the SBH team of Paul, Mike Blumenthal and others represented the plaintiff in a two-week accounting case that resulted in a $15 million settlement prior to closing arguments.
- In June 2014, after a nearly two-week trial, the SBH trial team of Paul and Kim Jones obtained a unanimous defense verdict in a disability case brought by a former assistant prosecutor against a county prosecutor’s office.
- In December 2013, after a nearly two-week arbitration, the SBH team of Paul and Mike Blumenthal obtained a six-figure arbitration award on behalf of a partner of a closely held medical practice.
- In April 2012, Paul teamed with Rob Adams of Shook Hardy & Bacon on a three-week commercial fraud trial that resulted in a unanimous defense verdict on behalf of Ford Motor Credit Company. This defense verdict — in which plaintiff sought a jury award of $18 million — was designated by Missouri Lawyer’s Weekly as one of the largest defense verdicts of all cases tried in the State of Missouri in 2012.
- Chambers USA 2018 Band 2 attorney for Employment & Labor in Kansas City & Surrounds
- Selected as a Legal Champion by Missouri Lawyer’s Weekly in January 2018 for his role in the Healthcare Foundation of Greater Kansas City v. HCA, et al.matter described above.
- Selected by The Best Lawyers in America as the 2016 and 2017 “Lawyer of the Year” in Kansas City, Missouri for Labor Law-Management.
- Repeatedly selected by his peers as a Kansas and Missouri “Super Lawyer.”
- Awarded “Best of the Bar” recognition by the Kansas City Business Journal in the separate areas of commercial litigation and employment litigation.
- Routinely included among The Best Lawyers in America in the field of labor and employment law.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Master, Ross T. Roberts Inns of Court Program
- Fellow, The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- University of Michigan, J.D., 1987
- Michigan State University, B.A., 1984