Business Litigation | Employment Litigation | Employment Counseling
Mark joined Seyferth Blumenthal & Harris in February 2020 and represents businesses and individuals in a wide variety of complex legal matters, focusing on commercial, employment and contract disputes, including noncompete agreements. He has significant experience representing financial institutions, but also litigates commercial, real estate, and construction matters.
Appearing in several federal and state courts throughout the country (including Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Idaho, and Arizona), Mark has litigated at both the trial and appellate levels, defending high-exposure claims. He has first and second chair trial experience and has authored several appellate briefs and presented multiple oral arguments in various appellate courts.
Mark is consistently named a “Rising Star” in Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers – an honor reserved for less than 2.5% of attorneys under 40 or in practice 10 years or less. He has also twice been named “Best of the Bar” by the Kansas City Business Journal in the area of Banking and Finance. He currently serves as a co-chair of the Banking and Lender Liability Litigation subcommittee of the American Bar Association’s Commercial and Business Litigation Committee and previously served as a member of the Volunteer Committee of the Urban Neighborhood Initiative, which works to revitalize neighborhoods in Kansas City’s urban core.
Mark completed his undergraduate degree at the University of Missouri-Columbia in three years, earned his Juris Doctor from the University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law and is an Eagle Scout.
- Defended community bank in large multiparty litigation against claims from several investors for violation of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), violation of 1933 Securities Act and 1934 Exchange Act, violation of state securities laws, breach of fiduciary duty, negligence, breach of contract, fraudulent inducement, fraudulent misrepresentation, and conspiracy
- Defended major regional bank against claims from a hotel operator for fraudulent inducement and negligent misrepresentation
- Defended regional bank and its officers against claims of age discrimination and retaliation under the Missouri Human Rights Act (MHRA)
- Defended bank officers against claim from a former employee for wrongful termination and defamation
- Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers Rising Star
- Kansas City Business Journal Best of the Bar
Publications and Presentations
- September 2020: Opinion: Missouri Appeals Court Ruling Shrinks Insurers’ Right to Intervene, Insurance Journal
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Missouri Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Co-Chair of the Banking and Lender Liability Litigation subcommittee of the ABA’s Section of Litigation (2015-present)
- Co-Chair of the Creditors’ Rights subcommittee of the ABA’s Section of Litigation (2014-2016)
- KCMBA Bar Leadership Academy, 2012
- Deputy Treasurer for 2019 Kansas City Mayoral Candidate
- Campaign Manager for Kansas City’s Fifth District Councilwoman, 2014-2019
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, Urban Neighborhood Initiative, 2014-2018
- CORO – Kansas City, Board Member, 2012-2014
- Guest lecturer at UMKC School of Law Abandoned Property Clinic
- University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law, J.D. (2007)
- University of Missouri-Columbia, College of Business, B.S. Business Administration (2004)