Employment Litigation | Employment Counseling | Insurance Litigation | Business Litigation
Matt joined Seyferth Blumenthal & Harris in 2019 as an experienced litigator with a practice including the defense of businesses and insurance companies in state and federal courts. In addition to handling all manners of employment-related litigation, he also provides risk management consulting and counseling to a variety of clients in the areas of human resources and statutory compliance. This includes assisting in drafting and implementing effective company policies and procedures that maintain compliance with applicable statutes and regulations.
In his insurance work, Matt advises clients on an array of matters, including primary and excess coverage evaluation and exposure analysis.
Matt received his B.S. in business administration and accounting with an emphasis in finance and his Juris Doctor from the University of Kansas. In law school, he was a member of the Law Review and served as its business manager.
- Matt successfully defended an appeal in the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals arising out of a dispute over the terms of a settlement agreement negotiated for an owner of farm ground with holdings in Missouri, Iowa, and Nebraska. The case involved property damage and takings claims arising out of the 2011 flood of the Missouri River.
- Matt obtained summary judgment on behalf of a nonprofit association in Shawnee County, Kansas. The case involved the alleged wrongful removal of a corporate officer and allegations of financial impropriety.
- Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2014-present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D.
- Law Review — Business Manager
- University of Kansas, B.S. Business Administration and Accounting