Business Litigation | Insurance Coverage Consulting, Litigation and Disputes | Products Liability Defense | Professional Malpractice Defense
Bruce focuses his practice on the representation of businesses and professionals in complex litigation with an emphasis on insurance-related issues. An accomplished trial lawyer, he has represented clients in lawsuits in more than 20 states and has taken cases to trial in seven states. To accommodate his national practice, Bruce is licensed to practice law in Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Texas.
As a long time ethics counsel for his previous law firm, Bruce has more than 20 years of experience counseling and defending lawyers on ethical charges, day-to-day issues and malpractice claims. Bruce also has extensive experience in representing policyholders and insurers in coverage-related cases and has counseled clients and represented them in litigation in hundreds of such matters.
After retiring from two decades of playing rugby, Bruce began training in Okinawan Kenpo Karate and now holds the rank of Shodan (1st degree Black Belt). Bruce lives in Kansas City, Missouri with his wife Kelly and daughter Harper.
Trial Lawyer Successes
- Recently obtained multiple defense jury verdicts for ladder manufacturers in cases alleging design and manufacturing defects.
- Recently obtained multiple defense jury verdicts for insurers in breach of duty, breach of contract, trespass and other matters.
- Successfully defended at trial and on appeal, a chemical manufacturer blamed for the explosion of a chemical plant resulting in $50 million in damages.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a doctor in a wrongful death action stemming from an alleged failure to use an experimental drug in the treatment of an infant.
- Defended at trial one of the world’s largest food producers on a $365 million trademark infringement claim.
- Defended an employer at trial on a multi-million dollar employee claim.
Presentations and Publications
- May 2020: Viewpoint: Insurance Denials, Proposed Legislation Raise Concerns, Insurance Journal
- May 2020: Denials Create Concerns for Both Insurers, Insured, Ingram’s magazine
- The Best Lawyers in America 2020
- Kansas City Business Journal, Best of the Bar
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating
- Repeatedly named a Missouri & Kansas “Super Lawyer,” Business Litigation and Insurance Coverage
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Federal Court Advocates Section
- The Missouri Bar
- State Bar of Kansas
- State Bar of South Dakota
- State Bar of Texas
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- J.D., University of Iowa College of Law with distinction 1992
- Iowa Law Review, associate editor, 1991-1992
- M.B.A., University of Iowa, 1992
- B.A., Finance, University of Iowa, 1988